One of the most stirring aspects of the Arthurian legends are the wondrous lands which those myths tell of. Places like Camelot, Lyonesse and Avalon are inhabited by a mesmerising cast of knights, fair ladies, wizards and mythic beasts of all kinds. Camelot, Arthur’s shining city-castle, drew knights from far and wide to join the Fellowship of the Round Table, inspired by ideals of courage, honour and chivalry. Avalon was another name for the Otherworld, and was the place where Arthur’s sword Excalibur was forged, as well as being the supposed site of his eventual tomb. Lyonnesse, meanwhile, was a land of strange beauty and romance, site of the tangled love story of Tristan and Iseult. What many people do not realise, however, is that all of these places have definite historical and modern counterparts in the real-life British Isles. One only needs to look to England’s mythical west country to find the likes of Camelot, Lyonnesse and Avalon, while even more obscure places, such as the Grail Castle of Carbonek, Arthur’s birthplace at Tintagel and the grim fortress of Perilous Garde can all also be found. If you look hard enough, the lost realms of King Arthur are not all quite as far away as you might think.
Welcome to my blog!
I'm a fantasy writer and on this site you'll not only find samples of my work but also articles concerning folklore, myth and legend, reviews of movies, books and graphic novels and much else besides (including the occasional short story - you lucky people!).
Go to the ‘Novels’ section of this website for more information and to read free samples of my longer fiction. Excerpts from my short fiction appear in the 'Short Stories' section of this website.
The 'Blogroll' below contains links to lots of other fantasy and sci-fi websites and the 'Writer Links' section of this site will take you to the websites of other authors whose work I admire.
If you like what you see on here don't forget that you can follow me on Facebook and Twitter too by clicking on one of the links below!
- 150,052 hits
- #FabulousRealms #WilliamHorwood goo.gl/Bj9Ikl 1 week ago
- #FabulousRealms #Aztec goo.gl/GhV8iE https://t.co/gWjcpeMF68 1 month ago
- #FabulousRealms #Christmas goo.gl/d1Fvzr https://t.co/kLwWfJqBMW 2 months ago
- #FabulousRealms #philadelphia goo.gl/y14a9N https://t.co/DjrhTcz21m 3 months ago
- #FabulousRealms #Samhain2016 goo.gl/apw4ij https://t.co/gNzcATgggx 3 months ago
The Inn at the Edge of the World
Hour of the Wolf
The Chronicles of Merlin
The Witch of Wicken Fen
- An Interview with William Horwood
- Spirits of the Sacred Skies
- The Fantasy World of Christmas
- Philadelphia by Night
- Samhain, Feast of the Dead
- The Realm of Ice and Fire
- Celtic Otherworlds
- The Wolf in the Attic
- The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
- Fearsome Critters
- Songs of Earth and Power
- Of Wood Woses and Wild Men
- The Lost Kingdoms
- The Man in the High Castle
- India’s Eternal Cycle
- Star Wars The Force Awakens Review – No Spoilers
- Fantasy Masterworks: the founders of fantasy
- 23 Things You Missed From the Warcraft Movie Trailer
- The Dark Fantastic
- The Light Fantastic
- Spawn of Ungoliant
- The Artifacts of Power
- Snow, Glass, Apples
- The Race of Twilight